1. College of Pharmaceutical Sciences & College of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Pharmacology, Southwest University, Chongqing 400715, China;
2. Institute of Chinese Medicine, Southwest University, Chongqing 400715, China;
3. Chongqing Engineering Research Center for Pharmacological Evaluation, Chongqing 400715, China;
4. Key Laboratory of Luminescence and Real-Time Analysis (Ministry of Education), Southwest University, Chongqing 400715, China;
5. Department of Pharmacology, Chongqing Three Gorges Medical College.
Catalpol and puerarin are active ingredients isolated from Rehmannia glutinosa Libosch and Radix Puerariae, respectively. They are popular in research for their poly-pharmacological effects. This research focused on effect of anti-stroke by lyophilized powder of catalpol and puerarin (C-P) and potential mechanisms. At the beginning of research, C-P was identified and analyzed by HPLC. Neurological function was evaluated by Longa score, neurological complex function score and beam balance score after permanent middle cerebral artery occlusion (PMCAO) in mice. Infarct volume and water content were evaluated after treatment of C-P. Anti-oxidative stress, anti-apoptosis, angiogenesis and neurogenesis were investigated by ELISA, WB and immunohistochemical stain respectively. With treatment of C-P, neurological deficiency of PMCAO mice was ameliorated. Morphologically, infarct volume and water content in ischemic hemisphere were significantly reduced by C-P. In vivo and in vitro, oxidative stress injury was extenuated by C-P. Meanwhile, Caspase-3 was down-regulated and Bxl-2 was up-regulated by C-P in vivo. In addition, C-P enhanced angiogenesis around the infarct of cortex and neurogenesis in the Hippocampal Dentate Gyrus (DG). Hence, C-P ameliorated stroke-induced neurological deficiency through its multiple neuroprotections. What's more, this article provides us a novel formula of active ingredients for stroke.
Keywords: catapol, puerarin, stroke, neurological function.