1. Department of Urology, Shenzhen Second People′s Hospital, the First Affiliated Hospital of Shenzhen University, Shenzhen 518000, Guangdong, China.
2. Shantou University Medical College, Shantou 515041, China
3. Department of Urology, Peking University First Hospital, Institute of Urology, Peking University, National Urological Cancer Center, Beijing 100034, China
4. Shenzhen Key Laboratory of Fertility Regulation, Center of Assisted Reproduction and Embryology, The University of HongKong, Shenzhen Hospital, Shenzhen, China
5. University of South China, Hengyang 421000, Hunan Province, China
Fatty acid synthesis is regulated by transcription factors SREBPs and their escort protein SCAP. Malignant cells become dependent on de novo lipogenesis, which sustains rapid proliferation and resistance to cellular stress. Increasing evidence showed SCAP participated in various disease processes including malignant tumors, which regulate transcription factors SREBPs Tumorigenesis is associated with incur glucose consumption and lipogenesis. In our study, we discovered that SCAP was upregulated in BC tissues. SCAP knockdown by CRISPR-Cas9 inhibit the cell proliferation, invasion and migration. Additionally, the cell apoptosis was facilitated. What's more, downregulation of SCAP could weaken the cancer-promoting effects of estrogen on BC. Our study revealed that SCAP played a carcinogenic role in BC and lipogenesis might promote the initiation of BC by inducing SCAP. Thus, Targeting SCAP may provide a promising means of treating BC and a new perspective for the tumorigenesis of bladder cancer.
Keywords: fatty acid synthesis, tumorigenesis, cell proliferation, lipogenesis